- Ms Word Format
- 78 Pages
- 1-5 Chapters
Leadership Style And Its Impact On Organizational Performance (A Case Study Of Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi)
LEADERSHIP STYLE AND ITS IMPACT ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A CASE STUDY OF AUCHI POLYTECHNIC, AUCHI)
This study examines the effect of leadership on workers performance in an organization. The aim of any organization is to achieve its objective, in achieving its objective the worker must be motivated to put in optimum performance. Hence the leadership style of such organization will determine the worker motivation towards his/her performance. Therefore, leadership plays an important role towards the attainment of organizational objectives, the study discovered that positive association exist between worker satisfaction compare to the leadership style of his boss leadership style geared towards the need of the worker and leaders in dealing with subordinate and performance. Base on the findings of this study certain recommendation such as sending managers and supervisors to leadership training courses. Leadership tailoring their behaviour so as to assist subordinates actualizes their need in the organization, ensuring equity and fairness in selling with subordinate, and understanding the subordinates before adopting a particular leadership style. Conclusively, the data for research method are collected with questionnaires and interview methods; secondary method was equally used to collect data for the study. The simple random sampling was used to select the respondents for study.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter One: Introduction
- Background to the study
1.2 Statement of the research problem
1.3 Research question
1.4 Hypothesis of the research
1.5 Purpose of the study
1.6 Scope of the study
- Significance of the study
- Limitation of the study
- Operational definition of terms
Chapter Two: Literature Review
- What is leadership?
- Theories of leadership
- Strategic leadership and transformation
- Leadership styles
- Sources of a leader’s power
- Characteristic of a leader
- Discipline as a virtue in leaders
Chapter Three: Research Methodology
- Research design
- Population of the study
- Sample/ sampling technique
- Method of data collection
- Source of data
- Method of data analysis
Chapter Four: Presentation of data
4.2 Data Presentation
4.3 Data Analysis
4.4 Hypotheses Testing
Chapter Five: Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
- Summary of Findings
- BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Leadership is a process of influencing other people to direct effort towards the achievement of a particular goal. It entails the ability to co-ordinate and control the human and natural resources available by a leader. Leading as most totally believed is one, vital part of the managerial process of planning controlling, directing, organizing and recreating job.
In the particular time, workers have demonstrated a nonchalant attitude to the problem of leadership style in management of resources in relation to work place.
This is because any organization lies on the leadership style related to the various leaders in leading their worker towards the goals of the organization objectives.
In any organization if he worker accept the leadership style adopted they will able to contribute optimally towards the organizational goals.
On the other hand, if the workers are not satisfied with the leadership style adopted they will end up not contributed positively to the organizational goal. Therefore it can be observed that the leadership style impact on worker performance in an organization.
All leaderships are goals oriented and could be directed toward organizational goals, groups goals and personal goals of the followers or personal goal of the leaders.
The ability of the leader to effectively manage an organization to a large extent can determine the success or failure of the organization. A leader (as manager) in running a business is faced with so many challenges, and stiff competition in an ever changing business environment, therefore to succeed and to ensure that business thrives and grow, the leader has to fashion out a functional and dynamic leadership style so as to successfully manage the human and material resources with a view to effectively achieve the organizational goals and objectives.
This study will be looking at the effect and effort of leadership in Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Leaders of an organization sometime tend to motivate subordinate performance, and this can lead or extended to poor motivation of workers in the organization.
Meanwhile, poor motivation of workers can affect the overall performance of the organization hindering workers effort towards the accomplishment of the objectives, assigning responsibility to workers in the working place, of fulfilling their personal needs and aspirations.
This is because workers, working in an organization have their set needs which they would not satisfy their needs, include such as: the physiological need, safety need, social need, esteem need, and self actualization needs. The leadership style employed by the management of an organization towards controlling subordinate is a great effect towards the attainment of goals.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to find out the following.
- To examine the effect of leadership on performance of the workers
- To examine the various leadership styles that can be adopted by the leaders in the organization towards leading their subordinates to performance
- To show the effect of motivation on the workers performance.
- To critically examine the strategic problems associated with the leadership process in the organization and to prescribe possible solution toward tacking these problems by way of recommendation
- To enhance people knowledge on leadership as an important concept in organizational behavior and management of people.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- Does leadership style affect workers performance in an organization?
- Does workers perception about the job they are doing improved performance?
iii. Does leader perception about worker needs motivate workers?
- Does good leadership skill enhance worker performance?
- Does good leadership style increase productivity?
1.5 STATEMENT OF THE HYPOTHESES
The following hypothesis where formulated in this research work to direct the thrust of the study.
HI: There is a relationship between workers satisfaction and leadership style
HO: There is .no relationship between workers satisfaction and leadership style
HI: There is a relationship between workers performance and leadership style
HO: There is no relationship between workers performance and leadership style.
HI: There is a relationship between workers motivation and leadership style
HO: There is no relationship between workers motivation and leadership style.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research work is concern with the effect of leadership style in workers performance in Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research work is significant in the sense that it will broaden people knowledge on the leadership process in the organization.
New researchers can be generated due to findings of the study and such new researchers can enrich the literature on leadership and improve the peoples under standing of the concept leadership more so, this study work will be of great importance to the management of the organization being studied as well as practicing managers of the organization. This is because, the findings and management to determine the proper leadership style to be employ in a given situation for the realization of the organizational goals.
- LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
In the process of carrying out this study, the researcher encountered numbers of problems.
The first problem encountered by the researcher was getting materials for the research.
As a result of the poor state of the polytechnic library, it was not easy getting relevant current materials for the research. Another main difficulties faced by the researcher were time factor and financial difficulties, while going to the field to collect materials for this research. Again, a lot of money was spent in getting access to related information for the research.
And this further compounded the precarious situation of the research as the un-cooperative attitude of some respondents with the researcher. Many of the respondents were suspicious of the researcher’s intention and therefore refused to render help.
- OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Leadership Style: This is the typical way in which a leader behaves towards his members.
- Organizational Goal: This is the direction of the organization, the target which the organization wants to attain.
- Organizational Behavior: This is concerned with the study of the behavior and attitudes of an employee in an organization, affect the perception, feeling and actions towards the achievement of organizational goal.
- Workers Perception: This refers to the way people view things in the organization.
- Satisfaction: This refers to the contentment, which the worker derived from his job.
- Motivation:This is the expenditure of efforts towards a goal, meanwhile, in this study motivation is refers to those things which prompt the workers towards the requisition of the organization particularly how his behavior affects the achievement of the organization purpose.
- Subordinates: This is a person working under another person designated as leader.
- Persuasive: This refers to the ability of a leader to persuade or convince his follower to perform a particular task.
- Organization: This is a structural process in which people interact for objectives.