THE EFFECT OF HUMAN CAPITAL MANAGEMENT ON THE GROWTH OF THE CIVIL SERV…
Human capital is the process by which an organization efficiently and effectively acquires, develops and utilizes its human resources for the achievement of the co-operate objectives.
Human capital management help managers manage workers under them more efficiently and makes the workforce more productive by improving their jobs. It is a practical activity in human life perhaps it is pertinent to asset that it is the human capital of a nation rather than it materials resources that ultimately determine the pace of its economy and social development. Government that desire to be effective are increasing releasing that one of the important factor contributing to the attainment of organizational success and growth is its human capital management and as such physical asset such as facilities, product, service or technologies can be limited by organization
Human assets can not be duplicated and therefore, becomes the competitive advantage an organization enjoys.
(Sani 2001) states that the development of any nation therefore, depends on a very large extent on the caliber, organization and motivation of is human capital.
Sain defined management as the process of teaching organization goals by working with and through people and other organization resources. Human capital management is usually defined in broad but common terms. A definition by (Fisher 2008) states Human Capital Management (H.C.M) involves all managements decision and practices that directly affect or influence the people of human capital, who work for the organization. In the specific case of Akwa Ibom state where diversity exerts tremendous influences on polities and administration, the capacity to increase the benefits and reduce costs of this diversity constitutes as human capital management challenge of epic proportion.
(Bowen and Osteff 2003) opine that improving administration capacity and especially those aspects dealing with human Capital offer the most challenge for improving organizational effectiveness. Strategic human capital management polices enhances employee productivity and the ability of government agencies to achieve their mission. (Cole 2011, srategic planning process enables an organization to better achieve its goals and objectives. Civil services system are designed to integrate the multiple goals and objectives. Civil service system are designed to integrate the multiple goals pursued by the public sector and inhibit the adoption of progressive human capital practices, they are not the necessarily rigid barriers to change. A lot of studies (George 2005) examining the effect of strategic human capital management polices practices in an organization. Performances have been conducted most especially in the development countries. But most of these studies were actually based on the operation of big private business organization. How public sectors response to human capital management policies is still unanswered question in the literature, this study files the identify gap by evaluating the effect of human capital polices in Akwa Ibom state civil services.
There is a significant increase in an organization, business and even government in today’s management level. There are problems associated with human capital management policies in Akwa Ibom state civil services these problems can be examined via.
- Inadequate human capital policies and decision making in an organization
- Ineffective implementation of policies
- Lack of adequate planning
- Poor monitoring of plans and strategies by management to checkmate organizational performances.
This research project is therefore carried out with these problems in mind. It is design to investigate the effect of human capital management policies in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service.
The main purpose of this study is to examine the human capital management policies in Akwa Ibom state civil services and their Effect on the Organization performances.
- To make out possible solution to some problem that effect human capital management.
- To draw a conclusion on the problems and prospect of the effect of human capital management polices
- To determine the benefit that could help the ministry or works to make used of prospect recording of book or account.
1.4 Objective of the Study
The general objective of this study is to find out the effect of human capital management policies in Akwa Ibom state Civil Services
- To determine the human capital management policies and their functions in Akwa Ibom state Civil service
- To determine the level of planning toward achieving organizational goals.
- To discover the set plans and strategies towards achieving organizational objectives.
- To recommend the need for human capital management policies towards achieving good performances in an organization
1.5 Research Questions
As a guide to this work, the following research question were formulated.
- Is there any significant relationship between human capital management policies and employee effectiveness in Akwa Ibom state civil service.
- Does the management sector influences the level of performances in an organization?
- Does the level of planning in a organization aid the management to achieve organizational objectives?
- Does proper monitoring of set plans and strategies assist management to achieve organizational objective?
1.6 Research Hypothesis
Ho: There is no significant relationship between planning process of management for organizational objective.
H1: There is significant relationship between planning process of management for organizational objective.
Ho: Akwa Ibom State Civil services has no specified human capital management policies for their workers.
H1: Akwa Ibom State Civil services has specified human capital management policies for their workers.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between human capital management and employee development in Akwa Ibom State Civil service.
Hi: There is significant relationship between human capital management and employee development in Akwa Ibom State Civil service.
1.7 Significance of the Study
Considering the fact that human resources is the life wire of any organization, it is important for government to know that the productivity of the workers and the entire economy of the state can be affected by mismanagement of the human capital through the use of improper policies.
- The study will help government to develop policies that will lead to high productivity among workers
- The findings on the performances of the civil servants in the state would help the public to be able to assess the performances of civil servants, in each ministry, thereby redefining their policies towards the acceleration of the state economy.
- To the student, it would help to provides source of information or references material in case of any further research on the topic.
- Interestingly, the research work would help the student in partially fulfilling the requirement for the award of high national diploma (HND) in business administration.
1.8 Scope of the Study
This study focused attention on the effect of human capital management policies in Akwa Ibom State civil services. The study considered only the members of staff in ministry of works in Akwa Ibom state. This study is conducted in the year 2016.
1.9 Limitation of the Study
This study is limited to the Ministry of Works Barracks Road, Uyo. A wide range of study could not be undertaken by the researcher due to.
- Time Factor: Considering the nature of this project, class activities such as assignment, test, attending lecturers and exams preparation pose a very big problem on this research work.
- Lack of Adequate Finance: There is very small amount of money for this research and as a result visit to the state library, respondents and resource persons outside the school to obtain relevant information and data are limited or hindered.
- Lack of Materials: Insufficient data due to short-age of text books, magazines, pose a lot of hindrances to this project.